Lebanon is blessed with two exceptional healthcare facilities within the city limits.
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC)
One of New England’s premier teaching and research hospitals, DHMC is located on a 225-acre campus in Lebanon. Patients can rely on DHMC to provide all levels of care, from primary and preventive care services to sub-specialty services for the most complex conditions. Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center is comprised of Mary Hitchcock Memorial Hospital (founded in 1893), the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Clinic (a network of more than 900 primary and specialty care physicians throughout New Hampshire and Vermont), Dartmouth Medical School (founded in 1797), and the Veterans Affairs Medical and Regional Office Center in White River Junction, Vermont.
Dartmouth-Hitchcock is one of New Hampshire’s largest employers, with more than 8,000 dedicated physicians, nurses, researchers, administrative and other non-clinical staff statewide, and more than 6,200 at DHMC in Lebanon. DHMC is home to CHaD (the Children’s Hospital at Dartmouth), New Hampshire’s only children’s hospital, as well as the Norris Cotton Cancer Center, one of only 40 nationwide designated by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) as a comprehensive cancer center. The Children’s Hospital at Dartmouth and Norris Cotton Cancer Center each provide services in multiple locations in Vermont and New Hampshire, making it more convenient for patients to get the care they need. DHMC is nationally recognized for excellence in many specialties, including heart and vascular surgery, orthopedic surgery and neurosciences.
DHMC is also New Hampshire’s only Level 1 trauma center and is served by the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Advanced Response Team (DHART), the region’s air ambulance service. Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center is also a magnet hospital, a recognition awarded by the American Nurses Credentialing Center to a select group of hospitals that meet the highest standards of nursing excellence.
Alice Peck Day Memorial Hospital (APD)
Founded in 1932 as a small cottage hospital, Alice Peck Day Memorial Hospital has grown into a thriving health care system serving the Upper Valley of New Hampshire and Vermont. APD prides itself on a tradition of fulfilling community health care needs with friendly, personalized care.
Services at APD include:
- The Robert A. Mesropian Center for Community Care, APD’s primary care clinic, featuring twelve primary care providers
- An award-winning, baby-friendly birthing center with family-focused maternity and lactation services
- The Women’s Care Center, offering personalized, comprehensive care for women from puberty through the post-menopausal years
- Occupational Health Services, an area leader in employee safety and health, offering on-site nursing programs, preventative health services and more
- The Rehabilitation and Enhanced Care Center, providing skilled nursing and rehabilitation care
- Rehabilitation Services, providing physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy
- Emergency Services, open 24 hours a day
- Harvest Hill and The Woodlands at Harvest Hill, independent and assisted living communities allowing seniors to maintain an independent lifestyle in a supportive, active community
APD is also known for a wide variety of surgical services, from minimally invasive treatments for kidney stones and hernias to plastic surgery and neurosurgery. Diagnostic imaging and lab services are also conveniently located on site.