Service & Organizations
Our community prides itself on a rich tradition of service to others. The Lebanon area’s largest umbrella agency for social service organizations is the Upper Valley United Way (UVUW). For more than 35 years, UVUW has worked to advance the common good and improve the quality of life for community residents by focusing on education, income, and health. The following are just a few of the organizations supported by UVUW:
- ACORN (support for those living with HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis C)
- Child and Family Services (counseling for children, adolescents, and families)
- COVER Home Repair
- The Family Place (resources for healthy parenting)
- Headrest (a 24-hour crisis intervention and referral hotline)
- LISTEN (food, fuel, housing, and crisis counseling)
- Upper Valley Haven (emergency shelter, food shelf, clothing, and educational programming)
- White River Council on Aging
- WISE (crisis counseling, court advocacy, and educational programs for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault)
Outside of UVUW’s family of supported organizations, there are approximately 90 additional nonprofits in the region funded through private donations. Covering the spectrum from arts councils and youth groups to health initiatives and economic development agencies, they include such organizations as Upper Valley Hostel, the Upper Valley Housing Coalition, Vital Communities, the Upper Valley Humane Society, and the Upper Valley Land Trust.
Working side-by-side with these nonprofits are a variety of volunteer service clubs throughout the Upper Valley, such as Lebanon’s two Rotary clubs, which work to raise money for worthy community causes throughout the year.
Volunteer opportunities abound in the Lebanon area, whether you enjoy teaching, working outdoors, helping seniors, or sharing your professional skills. Click here for a list of available volunteer jobs in the region.